For every cup of rice, you need 2 cups of boiling water
ie 1/2 cup rice and 2 cup water, 2 cups rice and 4 cups water
Add rice and water to a pan, simmer with lid on, stirring occasionally until all water is absorbed.
If you have a pot which "sticks", use an extra 1/4 cup of water and stop when there is a thin layer of 1 or 2 mm of water at bottom and strain off.
- White rice: 12 - 15 minutes
- Brown rice: 25 - 30 minutes
You do not need to drain or rinse the rice if you are using straight away.
Microwave : use a large container with a steam venting lid to prevent making a mess of your microwave. If you don't have one, then a microwave jug with plate on top works well. Timing depends on microwave and quantity, but when the water is all absorbed, the rice is done.
Brown rice can be done in the microwave, but I think is better on the stove.
If you cook too much rice, tip into a strainer and wash with cold water.
(Why? It stops from continuing to cook in it's own heat and also stops it sticking together).
Drain and fridge/freeze in sealed container or tub.
To reheat, simply put in strainer and tip over a kettle of boiling water.
You can microwave cold rice, but I only recommend this when there is a sauce on top as it can stick together.
Add stock cubes and/or strong herbs like garlic, parsley, coriander, rosemary to water.
I often add frozen vegies in the last 5 minutes to flavored rice for a quick side dish.
- If you are cooking a stew or curry and it won't thicken, considering adding some rice and simmering for about 12 minutes. Add about a cup of rice (recipe for 4 or 6) and if it starts looking a little dry before the 12 minutes, add a dribble of water.
- To make a hearty casserole, add up the liquids you've added and add slightly less than half the quantity of rice.
eg a can of tinned diced tomatoes and 2 cups of stock would be approx 3 or 3.5 cups, so add 1.25 to 1.5 cups white rice.
Rice takes close to an hour to cook in a lidded casserole. If your casserole is cooking for a lot longer to tenderise the meat, add rice about an hour before end.
- Rice and slow cookers can equal mush. Add about 2 hours from end and don't stir it.