Instructions given are for stovetop with slow cooker timing in [square brackets]
Optional - you can bulk this out with other vegetables if you wish.
Hard root vegies like carrots and sweet potato go in with potato, cut chunky.
Soft vegies like eggplant, zucchini go in 15 mins from end [SC 30-40 mins from end]
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1/2 bunch or 5 'clumps' of fresh coriander, roots removed, leaves and stalk chopped fine
- 1 TB or Moroccan spice mix (note as spice mixes vary, you may wish to taste towards the end and add more if needed)
- 1 TB olive oil
- 12 small chicken drumsticks, skin removed (or 12 'lovely legs' = drumsticks with skin and the 'handle' removed)
- 2 TB cooking or sea salt
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp Hoyts artificial saffron colouring
This is sold in the racks of spices in bags for refilling jars. Be careful with this powder as it is very strong and stains big time - I have 3 yellow fingers - and use it sparingly in your cooking. It is much cheaper and more effective than saffron for getting that lovely exotic orange-yellow colour
- 600g potato, cut to 1.5 - 2cm chunks
- kalamata olives, 12-18 pitted or unpitted
- 1/2 preserved lemon, chopped fine - I will be posting a recipe to make your own soon!
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Optional - extra vegeatables
In a large soup or stock pot, add the oil, onion and coriander and cook on medium until it starts to wilt a little [SC on high for about 20-30 mins]
Meanwhile, remove the skin on the drumsticks by scoring around the ankle with a sharp knife, insert knife under skin to loosen and pull.
Soak chicken in a tub of water with a couple tablespoons of salt for 10 mins and wash (why? Try it and see all the gunk that comes off that you are not eating!)
Add Moroccan spice and yellow colouring.
Stir, then add chicken drumsticks and enough water to about 1cm below chicken line.
Simmer on medium heat for 30 mins, giving occasional stir [SC high for 1.5 hours, no stir]
Add potato, olives, preserved lemons and frozen peas (yes, this early - Moroccan-style mushy peas) and cook for a further 20-30 mins on low, giving occasional stir [SC high for 1-1.5 hours, no stir]
Taste, adding more Moroccan seasoning or white pepper.
Not on Core? The total Points for this recipe is 20 pts, or 5 pts each serving 6
If serving with rice, don't forget to add the points for rice - 1/2 cup cooked rice is 1.5 pts