- 250g dry brown lentils (the whole round ones, not the split ones) or 2 cans of lentils, drained and rinsed (personally, I don't like canned lentils, they are mushy, salty and lack the flavour and texture of dried lentils)
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 3 cloves of darlic, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 4 TB tomato paste
- 1/4 cup diced coriander
- 2 TB diced Italian flat parsley
- 2 TB Moroccan spices
- Salt Pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 a 250g tub Perfect Italiano Extra Light: Ricotta
- 2/3 cup rolled oats (70g)
Put lentils in a heatproof dish and add boiling water to about 2 cm above line of lentils. Put lid on and stand for about 2 hours. If in a hurry, you can boil lentils for 30 mins and drain. Alternatively, use 2 cans of lentils, drained and rinsed.
Spray a large nonstick fry pan with oil and fry the onions and garlic for a couple of minutes.
Add chopped tomato, lentils, 3/4 cup water, tomato paste, herbs and simmer for 30 mins, stirring several times and adding a little more water if they start to stick. (Canned lentils, cook for 5 mins)
Allow to cool (or the egg will set as you stir it through)
Mash or blend half of the mixture.
Stir in ricotta, egg, oats and the remaining lentils mixture
Pour into large loaf tin which has been sprayed with oil.
Bake at 45*C for 50-60 mins.
Allow to stand for 5 mins before cutting.
Not on Core? The total Points for this recipe is 17pts, or 3 pts serving 6