Serves: 5 as mains, 8+ for starter
- 1 cup dried lentils, prefereably the whole ones, not the more common split ones
- 1 cup of soup mix (has pearl barley, peas etc in it)
- 2 x 400g diced tomatoes
- 8 vegetable stock cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped to 1 cm
- 1 large or 3 small zucchini chopped to 1 cm
- dried basil, around 2 tsp
- salt and pepper
Put all except last 4 ingredients into a large pot with 6 cups water, bring to boil, then simmer with lid on for about 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.
Add vegies, simmer for another 10 minutes, then season.
This can be served more like a stew than a soup, depending on the water level. If you want it soupy, then add 1 cup extra boiling water with 1 stock cube, and repeat until the consisitency is as you wish.