Yes, you read that right....Core IceCream!
It's a fun activity for kids, especially at picnics and BBQs and there is so little you need to bring, most can be bought on-the-road.
I did this for my nieces at a picnic and they thought it was magic (maybe because I said the salt was "powdered eye of newt" and got them to chant silly "magic" words while they shook it??). They were 3 and 5 at the time and loved making their own icecream from a carton of strawberry milk in the park.
Use full cream milk and throw in some baby M&Ms (or buy a carton of flavoured milk)
Maybe an adult should close the bags and they should be shaken outside :)
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk (I used Pura Tone)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- artificial sweetener, eqiv of 1 TB (4 tsp)
You'll also need:
- 6 tablespoons rock salt (it reacts with the ice somehow)
- ice (about 1 1/2 trays per serve)
- medium size ziplock bag
- large ziplock bag
- a spoon
NB: The snack size bags are a bit small for easily closing with fluid inside. You can use 2 medium bags, with the milk one folded down and ice/salt packed around it.
If it's not a hot day, I suggest wrapping the baggies in a tea towel.
Put the milk, sweetner and vanilla in the small ziplock back and seal firmly
Half fill the large bag with ice cubes, add rock salt and but the milk baggie in and seal well. Shake it for about 5 minutes or until the icecream inside begins to harden.
Open the bag carefully, wiping the top off first.
Voila! Ice cream in a bag! Dig in!
Variations that are still Core:
- Chocolate - add 2 tsp cocoa
- Coffee - add 1 tsp instant coffee
- Mocha - add cocoa and coffee
- Brandy - add a few drops of brandy essence (or other flavour)
- Banana - put banana and milk mix into blender, then into small baggie and shake
- Banana Split - as per banana, add 1-2 tsp cocoa
- Maple - add 2 tsp of sugar free maple syrup (not Core, but 0 pt at this level)
- Smoothie - put a few TB of diet yoghurt, 1/3 cup nonfat milk and 1/4 cup fruit through blender, then into small baggie and shake
- Whatever flavour sugar free topping you have....
Not on Core? The total for this recipe is 1 point for the milk
NB - it clicks over to 1 point at just under 1/2 cup, 3/4 cup is also 1 point....