I've also included instructions for family friendly versions using tortillas and tasty cheese.
- 500g premium beef mince (or savoury mince from freezer)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tins 4 bean mix, or 1 of kidney beans and 1 of bean mix
- 2 tin crushed tomatoes
- 4 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 20 - 30 drops Tabasco (30 was quite mild - we poured hot chili sauce over the top for some "kick")
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Rye Mountain bread to keep Core (Corn Tortillas for the family) - 1 or 2 each person
- shredded lettuce, about 2 cups
- 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- cottage cheese for Core (grated tasty cheese for the family)
- Optional - grated carrot
In a large pan, heat the oil and fry mince, onions and garlic until brown.
Add beans, tomatoes, spices, corn and 1 can worth of water. Add 10 drops of Tabasco sauce to start. Simmer for 10-15 mins until most fluid is absorbed. Test "heat" and add more Tabasco if needed.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180*C
Drape mountain bread or tortillas inside cup oven proof bowls. I used pasta/noodle bowls.
Bake for 10 mins until golden (15 for tortillas).
Put the shells onto plates, line with shredded lettuce and carrot.
Spoon beef and bean mix in middle, top with cheese and tomato.
Optional - if you like it hot, drizzle hot chilli sauce over the top
Not on Core? Each pie is approx 3.5 points